Tuesday 9 April 2013

Writing in space...

So on Saturday I was in space helping Steve Hayes and his team with their entry for the Sci-Fi London 48 Hour Film Challenge. Steve did the visual effects on Jenny Ringo and the Cabaret from Hell so I was happy to be able to return the favour. Plus I wanted to borrow his spaceship, but that's another story.

We were given a title (Robot), a line of dialogue (You only have to ask you know. Just say the word) and a prop (a mug of steaming liquid). From this we set about putting together a 5 minute sci-fi film in 48 hours. 

I say 'we' - I mostly helped with the script and shouted lines of dialogue at the actors for a day. 



And went on a mission for lunch, which is actually quite difficult to find when you're in space. 

There were three of us working on the script, initially using my car as a writers' room as the script became a series of scribbled notes that no one could read except me.



But ultimately it was a team effort and there were many moments in which we stood around doing this...



Then we filmed for eight hours. It was cold.

Then Steve and sound designer/mixer/composer Chris Upfield spent the Sunday putting it all together with magic and stuff. There had to have been a bit of magic involved anyway - I've no idea how else they could have done it in time. It took me a year to finish the post on Jenny Ringo and the Cabaret from Hell. A year. They did the same with way more effects in just 24 hours. Here's how it turned out...

https://vimeo.com/63551201

No comments: