Friday 13 January 2012

In other news...

Play this while reading, it will all make sense at the end... 


So this week David Cameron told us we should all be making big mainstream films to compete with Hollywood and then Ken Loach said that was daft and we're doing fine as we are (full details here if you have no idea what I'm going on about). Then everyone on Shooting People started to get a bit angry about it too, although it mostly seems like they're angry with each other which seems to be what Shooting People is there for these days (that, and finding me a sound recordist but so far it seems to be doing a much better job at the forum-for-angry-people-part). 

So I suddenly found myself kind of agreeing with two people I don't like very much, until I realised I'm not really part of the 'us' being referred to. It's unlikely that Cameron's mainstream includes ninjas and Loach's arthouse probably doesn't include witches so I'll just keep on making my films and ignoring the people telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing. I'm always a bit embarrassed when politicians start talking about films and they come up in proper news and stuff. They're not all that important really, just a bit of fun and certainly not worth getting so angry about (and yes, I've certainly been guilty of that on occasion, but sometimes the getting angry is the fun part).

Speaking of fun and art and the places they meet I watched two arthouse horror films this week and they were both awesome.

I finally saw Romero's working-class alternative vampire film Martin, which I loved because it's more of a working-class alternative vampire film now than it ever was. And Romero has an awesome cameo as a priest.


I also saw The Woman which is my new favourite film of last year. I felt like I'd been beaten up afterwards, in a good way, if that's possible. Angela Bettis is ace as always, Sean Bridgers is genuinely terrifying, Lucky McKee is my hero. I won't say much more than that, just that you should watch it if you like, y'know, good films and stuff. Plus it has an awesome soundtrack by Sean Spillane which you've hopefully just been listening to...

No comments: