Sunday 8 May 2011

The Bishop of Battle...

My Mass Effect addiction culminated in me scouring the galaxy to find one remaining rare item to complete a side-mission that had no bearing on the actual plot of the game. And as I punched the air in celebration of finally achieving nothing of any real importance I was reminded of this sequence from the 1983 film Nightmares in which Emilio Estevez has a similar problem. Someone has helpfully posted the whole thing on YouTube so you can watch it below. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I was surprised to find that despite it looking very 80s the story hasn't dated too badly. For the first half it kind of plays like an educational video on the dangers of over-indulgence in video games before it goes crazy with some pretty awesome Tron-esque effects. I never saw the rest of the film (I was always told this was the best story so never bothered) but I'm kind of curious now.

No comments: