Thursday 14 October 2010

Short Film Diary - Week 22...

Quick update as it's been a while, although there's not much happening at the moment. Well, there is stuff happening, just not anything that I'm involved with.

I had to take a step back while I was moving, aside from occasionally checking in and updating people involved with the post-production. Also my editor is super-busy and my sound editor (who is also my sound recordist and sound designer) is on tour with various bands. I have been assured he has his laptop with him and is editing the sound for the film as we speak, which is above and beyond the call of duty but very much appreciated.

So this is where we are right now. After some discussion over how we could tighten up the edit, it was decided that the broken up, glitchy sound we were editing with (the sound picked up by the camera) made it really hard to tell whether it was working or not - it was fine for a rough cut, adequate for some degree of fine-tuning but we've taken it about as far as we can go. So the idea is to get a basic sound edit to help lock the picture. Meanwhile, I've taken all the footage of the musical sequence to see if I can figure out how to make it work - I've recruited Brother Pete to help. At the moment were aiming to have all of this done by early November, and then finally we're onto the grading, final sound mix and music.

So it's looking like we will pass the six month stage soon and though I did hope to be further along we're still on target for the end of the year.

With less to do on the short I've started to think less about the film itself and more about what I want to do with it. So I've started to work on a script for a feature using the same characters. I'm not sure how realistic I'm being or even how well the short will be received at this stage, but if I'm honest the ideal, absolute best case scenario would be to get a feature made off the back off this. Trying to raise the money to make it is a daunting prospect, and even getting to the stage where I'm in a position to try and raise the money seems like an impossibility at the moment. But right now I'm not going to worry about that, I'm just writing the script.

It's nice just being a writer sometimes. There's a lot less to worry about.

No comments: