Saturday 24 January 2009

10DM Oscar nominations...

Unfortunately, Ten Dead Men was released just slightly too late to be presented for the consideration of the Academy. Maybe next year.

Anyway, I was going to do a post about how the Oscar nominations annoyed me again, as they do every year. I had this whole rant drafted about 2008 being a good year for films but still all the nominations go to films that have only just come out, most of which I have little interest in but will probably end up seeing anyway and will promptly forget about.

But then I went to see Milk and really enjoyed it, so it seemed a bit hypocritical to moan about Oscar films.

Also The Dark Knight was nominated for loads more than I expected which is great. And I'm glad Heath Ledger is up for Best Supporting Actor - regardless of the reasons for that nomination I genuinely believe it was the best performance of the year and possibly the best I've seen in a long time so I'm happy that he's being recognised. It's a shame the score couldn't be nominated but apparently there was some technicality about there being too many composers or something daft. What I'm really not happy about is the lack of a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination for Dark Knight - so much of what made that film ace was in the script.

I ended up moaning about the Oscars anyway.

Oh well, at least In Bruges is nominated for Best Original Screenplay, I just hope it wins.

I have just spent the last three hours e-mailing everyone I know (or in some cases simply know of) in the US about the 10 Dead Men release next week. I need to go to bed.

No comments: