Monday 6 October 2008

Writing Song Meme

Rich Badley tagged me in the following meme that's been going round the writing blogs recently:

Find a song that sums up what you think it means to be a writer and post the lyrics on your blog and why you’ve chosen it. NB: It doesn’t have to be your favourite song, it just has to express how you feel about writing and/or being a writer. It can be literal, metaphorical, about a particular form or aspect of writing - whatever you want. Then tag 5 others to do the same (reprint these instructions).

My first choice was We are all Prostitutes by The Pop Group. I know you're supposed to go with the first thing that comes into your head on these things but it didn't seem quite right when my last post was all about enjoying a lack of cynicism. So I picked this instead:

http://www.last.fm/music/Chet+Baker/The+Best+Of+Chet+Baker+Sings/You+Don%27t+Know+What+Love+Is

So back when I was at uni my dad used to send me compilation tapes (for anyone under twenty-five it's like a playlist on itunes only it works through a complicated system of pulleys and gears and has to be clamped into an engine run on steam to be played). On one of the tapes was Chet Baker playing You Don't Know What Love Is with a note that said if anyone ever asked me what the coolest song in the world was, play them this:

You don't know what love is
Until you've learned the meaning of the blues
Until you've loved a love you've had to lose
You don't know what love is

You don't know how lips hurt
Until you've kissed and had to pay the cost
Until you've flipped your heart and you have lost
You don't know what love is

Do you know how a lost heart fears
The thought of reminiscing
And how lips that taste of tears
Lose their taste for kissing

You don't know how hearts burn
For love that cannot live yet never dies
Until you've faced each dawn with sleepless eyes
You don't know what love is

You don't know how hearts burn
For love that cannot live yet never dies
Until you've faced each dawn with sleepless eyes
How could you know what love is
What love is
What love is

I know, I wasn't asked what the coolest song in the world is, but it is a song about dealing with rejection and that, as we all know, is unfortunately a huge part of being a writer.

As Rich says it seems like everyone's done this now so I can't tag 5, but Contains Nuts doesn't seem to have done one yet. Over to you, sir.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

f%^%&kj*&&! I'll have to do this now! :)