Tuesday 12 August 2008

Couple of random things from the Ether...

Three random things actually. Firstly, this was advertised on Shooting People:

http://www.hotelguignol.com/submissions.html

Might be worth submitting something as it sounds like a really interesting project. Could also be one of those things that comes to nothing, but there are always people looking for short horror scripts so it's not going to be a total waste of time. I just recycled an old project for submission, which probably means it won't get anywhere as usually the laziness shows through.

Second thing - what's with people dying this year? Isaac Hayes and Bernie Mac in the same week!? On top of Brad Renfro, Heath Ledger, Roy Scheider, Richard Widmark, George Carlin and Anthony Minghella!?!?! This is been one very sad, depressing year in terms of people I like dying and I am seriously hoping Paul Newman makes it through as I'm not sure I can cope with another one.

Speaking of sad and depressing, I saw an amazing but also sad and depressing film the other night - All About Lily Chou-Chou. It's a Japanese film about two high school kids who have the most messed-up youth possible. I guess it's a bit like Kids, only more disturbing. It's also about music (Lily Chou-Chou is a fictional popstar in the film) and how it can bring people together and isolate them at the same time. Here's a cool music video from the fictional popstar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K8Csb69ggs

Anyway, it's two-and-a-half hours and depressing as hell, but definitely worth putting yourself through it if you get chance.

And yeah, I've pretty much given up on this not being a film review blog. It's mainly a writing blog, but as I keep seeing cool films that I can't rant about to anyone in real life without them getting bored I'm going to rant about them here.

No comments: