Wednesday 16 April 2008

Commentary, subtitles and script reading...and insurance exams

It's been a bit of a busy week and I haven't managed to do any work on Dark Future as planned, meaning it's going to be delayed even more. I spent a lot of time at the weekend working on the subtitles for Penalty King which isn't hard work, but is time consuming and can be tricky in places. Had a meeting last night with Chris the director, Nick the lead actor and Uta the translator and everyone was pretty happy with what I'd done so far. Now it's just a case of getting on with it.

On Sunday I recorded a commentary for Ten Dead Men with the director, Ross, and the Special Effects Supervisor Steve. It went really well and is something I've always wanted to do, but it was a strange experience. I always imagined it would just be a case of sitting around casually chatting about the film, but it was actually much more like a performance as you have to make sure you a) keep talking, b) are speaking loudly and clearly the whole time and c) make sure you stay on topic. Also it's kind of exhausting talking non-stop about a film for 90 minutes. At first I thought there was so much to say about the making of the film we'd never fit it all in, but after about an hour I was starting to run out of steam. I felt a bit sorry for Steve too as this was the first time he'd seen the finished film and he's watching it with the volume turned down and with Ross and myself competing to say as much as we can before the film finishes. I think it's come out okay though.

Also read another script for JC who's producing Hit the Big Time - just gave some feedback on this one, but I did spend a couple of evenings doing it. I've noticed that people who give me feedback on scripts are much better at doing it than I am - I sent JC a list of notes that were all over the place, but hopefully they'll be of some help.

And I passed my insurance exam this morning, which I shouldn't be excited about, but considering I passed despite everything else that's been going on and I spent most of last night in the pub I'm quite happy with it.

That's it for this week - it's the Ten Dead Men premiere this weekend!

No comments: